Tooth extraction Post Operative Instructions
- Keep firm pressure on the site with the gauze for at least 30 minutes. Some slight bleeding may occur. If excessive bleeding occurs, place a moistened tea bag on the site with firm pressure for 20 minutes. If it persists, call the office
- No rinsing or spitting the first 24 hours.
- Brush and floss all teeth, avoiding the extraction site for 2-3 days.
- Keep up a good diet with plenty of liquids. Do not use straws. Avoid hard foods like chips, nuts, and popcorn.
- Take all medications as prescribed.
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hours.
- A cold pack applied on and off the first 24-48 hours will minimize swelling.
- If a bone graft was placed you should avoid the site for up to six weeks. An antibacterial rinse may be given to use twice daily.